My favorite Films of 2017

There were many beautiful films this year and with everything going on in the world this year I would like to discuss some of them. I feel like I need to to do something positive and what better way than to honour those films that I loved.

5. The Big Sick
This is a film that we really needed this year. With so many large, important figures in the world attacking diversity and the idea that Western cultures can live hand in hand with Muslim culture this little gem feels so important. We see Muslim culture not as a terrifying anti-west movement but as a silly harmless way of life that is evolving with newer generations. Kumail Nanjiani is such a phenomenal talent that everyone will be talking about in several years and Zoe Kazan is just so sweet and perfectly cast in this. That is without saying anything about the phenomenal supporting cast. I just loved the big sick.

4. War for the Planet of the Apes
The previous 2 films in the reboot series of the planet of the apes films were such technical marvels. The motion capture technology allows for so much human emotion in the apes while still allowing you to be sold on the idea of these apes as apes. This film both builds on and improves on those previous films. The pacing is perfect and the action is unique and engaging but what is particularly exciting about it is how emotionally satisfying it is. That is not just because of the technology but also because of the actors and the wiring and the cinematography and the editing. Everyone involved in this was at the top of their game and it makes something that could be very generic into something really special. It also has quite a lot to say.

3. Baby Driver
I love Edgar Wright but I had no hype for Baby Driver until i saw it. At first glance you think you are going to see generic car chase movie with music tossed in. To say that would be to greatly undersell it. Every frame, shot, moment and scene is meticulously created with music being mixed in perfectly. Literally everything is timed to perfection and it makes for a phenomenal work of art. This is aided by talented performances by the whole cast, who dance around the screen with Grace  and impressive timing. It may not be that meaningful, it doesn't have a lot to say but it is a beautiful work of art that is extremely impressive and a lot of fun.

2. Call Me By Your Name
This slot was extremely hard as I am absolutely in love with both these top 2 films. Call Me By Your Name is a beautiful movie in almost every way.  Shooting in northern Italy, director Luca Guadagnino absolutely understands the sensual beauty of his country. If the movie had been about absolutely nothing I could have given it a good review because it is totally worth it to chew in the landscape and the town and the country. You can absolutely understand how people in this place over a summer break could feel so relaxed yet turned on and full of desire. This is then aided by the fact that it is filled with such complete characters that if I didn't know better I could have thought I was watching real people living their life. This is a gay love story but it totally transcends that and is so universal in it's themes of love and desire. I loved it, I loved the images on screen, I loved the characters and I love the messages on screen. There is also a monologue near the end that is one of the greatest film moments I have ever seen.

1. The Shape of Water
Ultimately, and very closely, The Shape of Water was my favourite movie I saw in 2017. Guillermo Del Toro is an extremely talented director who has been consistently putting out good work for the better part of 25 years but the Shape of Water feels like his true masterpiece. There are so many layers to this that would all work on their own that I can't do it justice in such a small body of text but here goes: In its own right this is a beautiful fairytale made for adults and as only that it is a dreamy film that totally works on it's own right... But it is so much more than that, what works particularly for me is how it is a poignant discussion and love letter to people on the outskirts of society who feel incomplete as well as an indictment of the patriarchal society that keeps these people on the outside. It is also shot in a personal way with beautiful set and costume design in every corner of the screen, which is to say nothing of the gorgeous musical score playing throughout the film. I could continue to write an entire thesis about this film. I just loved it so much and am glad it is getting the recognition it deserves.


-----An edit to this: At a later date I saw Phantom Thread, it would've made top 3. Also I did not include foreign films at the time (why? I dunno, but 120 FPS would've made the list if I had).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2nd Recently viewed

5 October

A bunch of films I have watched recently